Thursday, April 06, 2006

Movies & Books

Just finished watching two new movies.

Good Night and Good Luck

I have no idea how Clooney got the Oscar for this. He was barely on camera. It was, however, an interesting movie. The thing that sticks out in my mind are the parallels between the Communism scare of the 50's with our current day Terrorism scare.

The Squid and the Whale

What is it lately with the independent films and not having a story? This movie just didn't go anywhere. I'm reminded by the movie June Bug and Thumbsucker. Unlike those two movies, I did finish watching this one and just felt like I wasted my time. I love story which is one of the reasons why I love books and movies. This movie got such good reviews. I was just disappointed.

Proof

I liked this movie as it had a story line. I liked the way it ended with Paltrow's character coming to terms with her delusions and talent.

The Wedding Date

I have a confession to make. I love girl movies. I just do and I hate it when I do. This one was great because you got to see Dermot Mulrooney's butt and his six pack abs.

On to books - or really, just one book.

I checked out Patricia Cornwell's Predator book and felt a little lost as I didn't understand why she was in Florida or why they were so upset at the death of a doctor. So I looked and found there was a previous book, Trace. Before I finished Predator, I had to return it to the library because someone had put a request on it, so I went ahead and checked out Trace. It took me literally a month to read that stupid book and it didn't explain about any of the death of the doctor or anything. It was also ended abruptly and there were several plot points that she failed to wrap up. After I read Cornwell's Blow Fly, I took a long break from reading any of her work - mainly because of the same reasons - it was slow and I hated the characters. But The Last Precinct brought me back into the fold - it was great! The follow up book was equally great, too. Then along comes crap like Trace. I just hate it when I get burned again.

1 comment:

Katey said...

I love your Bombshell... I am going to make one for myself...

I might be a little stalker-y, but I think that we should be friends!

I am an atheist as well, and I knit, and I am a big girl, and I am pissed at Patricia Cornwell. I haven't read anything by her since she brought Benton Wesley back from the dead. (She violated storytelling rule number 47 with that!)

Anyway, you can see my blog at kateyj.typepad.com.

Oh, and in case you doubt my assertation that we should be friends, I am from Texas (though I currently live in Atlanta)