Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Grandma

My grandmother is dying. She's had a stroke that effects her swallowing and she's too weak to have a feeding tube installed - the surgeon thinks she won't survive the surgery.

She's in Hospice care now and can have as long as 10 days to two months to live.

I'm just glad I was able to forge a good relationship with her in my adult years. We traveled around too much as kids to really know my grandparents. I had a job a couple of years ago which allowed me to go visit her quite often. It gave me a greater appreciation of all she's done for me to live the life I lead today. It all has to do with giving my mother a college education.

I love her and will really miss her. I hate the fact that she's essentially going to starve to death, but this isn't the life she wanted. She is always self-reliant and it's terribly difficult on her to be wheelchair bound in a home.

Life is too short. I'm going to go and hug my kiddo.

No comments: