I have been dragging my little CSM machine out occasionally to see if I could get it to work. I use it until I get totally frustrated and put it up again. I have yet to be able to get it to knit.
I felt like the problem was with how I used the set up basket. I got some help from the sock knitter's group and used this photo as a guide. The rubber bands work wonderfully.
Then I made sure that I had proper tension on the umbrella (I had three weights).
The yarn was still not catching. Here's a photo of my cylinder with the needles in it.
Here's a photo of Gay's set up:
>>>>>>Eric from the list properly diagnosed the problem - I put the uplift cams in upside down.<<<<<<<
ETA: Nope. See a later post - I had the put the machine together incorrectly.
I'm actually excited about knowing this. Perhaps I can get my machine to start working!