Monday, June 01, 2009

Salsa!

Our good friends who also make stuff (cheese, beer, wine, yogurt, etc.) had us over to dinner a couple of weeks ago and opened up their most recent experiement - Salsa.

Oh, man. It was the perfect kind of salsa. I don't like my salsa chunky and I like a little heat - not something that will scorch your mouth, just a little kick.

Last Saturday, J went and picked up the Jebus food and they had lots of veggies that are salsa compatible. I asked our friend for the recipe and proceeded to make my own yesterday.

I got 6 wide mouth jar's full of salsa.

Here's the recipe (I'm putting it here so I won't lose it - I also added cilantro to the batch 'cuz I loves me some cilantro).

El Fenix hot sauce

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 1/2 cups onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups green peppers
1 cup jalapeno peppers, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste

Mix all together and bring to a slow boil for 10 min.

(Note: The batch seems like it's not very liquid-y when you first mix everything together and you're gonna want to add some water - don't. The heat combined with the vinegar will break down all the veggies and it'll get nice and soupy)

Run in batches through a blender (or food processor) and then pour into canning jars.

Seal in jars and cook in hot water bath for 10 min.

No comments: