Sunday, March 19, 2006

Classic Movies

There are a couple of movies that I really love seeing and feel they're true classics.

Forrest Gump

I just love how this movie merges popular culture with a great story. It makes me so happy to watch.

Seabiscuit

I remember one time when I was talking to one of my clients, he said he went to see this movie with hi wife and thought it was one of the best movies of all time. I never thought about it, but I just love how the story follows four different story lines. It's written very well. I have to agree. This is one of my all time favorites. You know it's a favorite when you watch it over and over again when it's on cable and really have decided to watch it.

The Green Mile

Wow. This was really just so good. I remember crying a number of times while watching this movie. I just love how this married the supernatural with the natural world. The story regarding the long lived mouse was really great. It definitely appeals towards my love of comic books.

The Shawshank Redemption

I'm of the generation who learned how to read from Morgan "Easy Reader" Freeman. He was just wonderful in this story. I absolutely hated the head guard (I don't know his name, but he's been in so many movies and TV shows: Highlander (movie), Carnivale (cable show), Earth 2 (TV). (Google says his name is Clancy Brown)

The Big Lebowski

Just an all time great movie. I still find myself quoting this movie. I remember seeing this in the movie theaters and just not getting it. One of the reasons why I feel the Cohen brothers are truly the best movie makers of my lifetime is because their movies are really subtle - in other words, it takes some time for you to really get the genius of their movies. The great appreciation, for me at least, comes when I re-watch Cohen movies. That's when I actually get some of the humor I missed it the first time. Plus, their choice of music is really great. I love the soundtrack to "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" too.

I'm sure I'll name others later, but for now, these are some of my all time favorites.

No comments: