Monday, November 12, 2007

Reviewed: "Dexter in the Dark" by Jeff Lindsay

I have really enjoyed the Dexter book series, as well as the Showtime show. The Showtime show heavily borrowed it's first season from two books - but they're different enough to be worth reading the books.

But this third book was a terrible disappointment. It introduced a supernatural element that really didn't need to be there. It let's Dexter off from being a monster - I mean come on, he does the things he does because of a demon possession? Dexter is likable already - even though he does some really terrible things. Lindsay didn't have to try to let him off the hook.

I like how Dexter has taken Astor and Cody under his wing. It's a good story line and I'm looking forward to reading more about this.

I liked how Dexter was essentially turned into the prey - but Lindsay just muddled it with the supernatural crap.

It is rare when I like the television version of a series, but I have to admit that in this case, I do.

1 comment:

LizzieK8 said...

I just got hooked on Dexter. Am current with the TV show and have the first book on CD to listen to.

I sometimes am appalled with myself for idolizing a serial killer....