Monday, February 18, 2008

Walked out on Weight Watchers

I really do consider myself a fairly tolerant person but I hate to admit that I walked out on my Saturday Weight Watcher meeting. We had a substitute leader and she was just way too evangelical for my taste.

First strike was when she was talking about how "God wouldn't want you to be thinking negatively about your body". I let that one go.

Strike Two was when she was describing your morning routine, "when you do your devotion".

My friend and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes when we heard this (my friend is a believer).

Strike Three was when she referred to our bodies as our "worldly bodies". I just felt that it was not appropriate for my Weight Watchers meeting and looked over at my friend, who was really ticked off at this point. I whispered over to her that I just wasn't going to get anything out of this meeting. She said she wanted to go, too. So we went out to the front and complained.

The response: Oh, well you guys are just Casi fans (Casi is the name of our usual leader). While I love Casi, this was just not the case. We've had substitutes before and had no problems with them. This particular leader just crossed a line in my opinion.

And really, I am not intolerant. I go to UU church each Sunday and have believing friends and family.

The thing is, this substitute probably doesn't even know that evangelical speak has just taken over her vocabulary. I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt.

To add insult to injury, my Curves had Praise Music blaring when I walked in and we had to politely ask the trainer to change the CD.

Just not my cup of tea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad that you were able to stand up (and walk out) for what you believe.