Sunday, September 07, 2008

Beer Making - part two

First off, I had to siphon the batch from the primary fermentor to the secondary. Here's a photo of all the junk left in the primary fermentor (this is day 7).
Here it is in the secondary. Cap it and let it set for another week.
On my other batch, I had to prime it with sugar and water. Here's the sugar water just before I add it.
I siphoned half of the beer from the secondary to the primary - then I added the sugar water and stirred. My first batch of beer was a little hit or miss with regard to carbonation. The first bottles we drank were REALLY carbonated. The ones later on - not so much. I'm hoping by adding it to the beer at the half way mark will give it a good mix.
Here's the secondary fermentor (on top) being siphoned into the primary fermentor. Notice the bucket to the left - it's the secondary fermentor for the Honey Nut Brown Ale.
Here's what the secondary fermentor looked like after I siphoned everything out - there's still crud on the bottom, but not as much.
Now I bottle from the primary. The primary is the bucket with the spigot. Attach the tube and the bottle stick (not sure what to call it) - but it has a nice valve on the end with allows you to move from bottle to bottle without making a huge mess. See the black tip on the end of it?
Filling the bottles. J caps them and I wasn't able to get a photo of him doing it.
But here's the beer capped and primed. They'll be ready in 14 days.
I did taste this beer - it's VERY mild compared to the American Ale I did for the first batch. This batch is an American Premium Lager and I didn't have to do all the boiling that the other kit required. I would recommend doing one of those kits for your first time out. It's made by The Brew House. Their instructions are REALLY great. I just felt like I was cheating a little. FWIW, the instructions tell you to put 2.16 gallons of water in the primary fermentor prior to adding the wort. Just don't do it. You end up putting more liquid in your primary fermentor than 5 gallons and can potentially have your foam come out of the air lock.

No comments: