Thursday, September 25, 2008

Sewing Halloween Costume

M wants to be a cheerleader for Halloween this year. Since she's growing out of her princess outfit I made a couple of years ago, I decided to go ahead and make an over sized outfit so it'll last for a while. I picked up the Simplicity 3689 and will be making pattern A in a misses size 4.

I'm taking my time on this outfit as there are a lot of details in the pattern. I'll read the pattern once, then look it over, then try to figure out what it's saying. Then I re-read the pattern, re-look at all the sketches and visualize how I'm going to do what it says I need to do. This actually takes some time, which is why I started this project a month and a half ahead of time.

Here's my sewing machine setup. It's my Grandmother's old Montgomery Ward's machine and I have it in M's play room (she's six and will stay away from it).

Here's the front - sans sleeves.
Here's a close up of the stripes. It's single fold and double fold bias tape.
I also finally figured out how to use my zipper foot. Don't know why I was so afraid of it from before. This is my first ever machine sewn zipper! Not great, but hey, it works and I'm not pulling it out.
Next is the collar - which I'm having trouble visualizing - I'll get back to it, but it's on hold for now.

No comments: