Monday, November 07, 2005

Ostrich head

One thing that I do that is really, really bad when I know I'm disappointing someone or am behind on something is I ignore the problem.

Ironically, I don't really ignore the problem. I obsess in my mind over and over again. I lose sleep over it. I worry about it. The only thing I don't do is head off the problem.

Case in point: I'm behind on a project at work for various reasons: difficulty of project (I'm cleaning up another engineer's mess), personal matters and commitments, failure to pay on the clients behalf (I put projects on the back burner for clients who are slow to pay - or who refuse to pay until the end of the project). This client is actually a personal friend from way back. I'm re-doing the storm drainage of a subdivision that he'd inherited from another engineering firm. My friend has owed me a lot of money for quite some time. I've been patient with him, because he's a friend. He called up and cussed out my technician last week.

I should be mad, but I'm worried about losing the friendship. So I act like an ostrich and bury my head in the sand.

J is great. He knows I need to address the issue now rather than later. I confronted the friend and we've worked out a deal that's fair to both. I think I'll be getting some good sleep now.

No comments: