Monday, July 17, 2006

Okay, I get it now.

I now understand the draw of dishcloths. I used to think they were quite boring to knit - and they don't require a lot of thought.

But you know, people who receive them as a gift really, really appreciate them. I made a dishcloth for my folks this weekend while I was visiting - really - it took me no time to make it. Simple knit and purl - double diamonds. It was for their kitchen - where they just upgraded the counter tops to granite. The counter tops are really beautiful.

I also just finished up knitting a pink one - this time double hearts. But instead of knit/purl, this one was based on cable back/cable front. It was my first time using a cable needle - even though I've had it sitting in my little notions box for about six months. I've been too chicken to try to do any type of cabling. My thought about the dish cloth is that if I screw it up, then it'll still be a handy dishcloth.

It was ever so easy! Now I'll have to try to do an actual cable - there's a dishcloth pattern with some traditional cabling on it, so I'll give it a go.

But first, my mother-in-law's birthday is coming up - August 2nd. I think I'm going to knit her a couple of dishcloths. Her kitchen color is red and white. I have some red Lion's Brand Cotton, so I'll just punch out a couple of those.

This past weekend I also went to one of M's school mates birthday party. Since I didn't know many people, I sat quietly and knitted on the pink dishcloth. Some of the parents who went to the school's baby shower said that my gift won the cutest gift prize. Made me feel really great!.

I'm so sick of knitting on M's mermaid skirt. I just have to push through it. Summer is almost over and it's looking like it's going to be relegated to becoming a dress up instead of a bathing suit wrap! :(

I also hope that I can sometime get into the zen of knitting lace. It seems like it would be cheaper for me to do that since it takes so long to knit.

I also need to figure out what I'm going to do with the wonderful Shine worsted cotton yarn I just frogged. I would love to have a tank, but I'm a little worried the Shine will have too much drape to it.

I also feel like it'd be a good time to start knitting a cardigan type sweater for myself. Right now I'm leaning towards knitting the Knitting Nature Hex coat.

2 comments:

pseudobunny said...

I am lurkin' into your blog from SP8..I have a warshrag addiction also. Have you tried the Mason-Dixon pattern? It is d-i-v-i-n-e!!!!
And not at all addictive!

diosaperdida said...

Yup..dishclothes are like an addiction inside of an addiction..it's a great way to make something, make a pretty something...and not use tons of time and yarn!
(Plus I love cotton yarn)
Also addictive for me are circular crocheted coasters made of cotton yarn!
My wonderful husband acts like I knitted( or crocheted) the crown jewels when I make him a coaster oe washcloth!