Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Almost there!

I did a terrible thing and blew off going to Curves (and my friend MA) last night so I could guarantee that the cheer leading outfit will be done by Halloween.

I ended up working on this until 10:30 pm, but I got the skirt done - pleats and all.
Here's the outfit before I start to take stuff in to fit M.

I made this a little big so I can have a couple of years worth of play time.

I defintely got some techniques down after I made the top. Here's the trim. The trim on the left is the top, the trim on the right, the sleeve. I finally figured out how to make a clean "V" shape. The trim is simple bias tape - single on top, double on the bottom ironed to widen it out.

I also think I finally have the hang of sewing in zippers. The one on the left was the first one I did. The one on the right was the one I did last night for the skirt. It doesn't really show up here, but it's not as pucker-y (I know that's not a word, but you get the gist of what I'm trying to say).


The inside top of the skirt had to be hand stitched. It's not beautiful, but it'll do.
I have to make her a pair of knit panties (they're blue) but am not too worried if I don't get them done. The ones that come in the pattern are HUGE for M, so I'm going to see if we can wear a pair of green shorts underneath the skirt and just call this sucker done.

If you can't tell, this was a lot more than I had anticipated. I think the pattern is for a real cheer leading outfit, so there was more to it than the simpler patterns I make. Now that it's done, I'm pretty jazzed that it turned out as well as it did. I got intimidated and then pressed for time. Not a good combination.

Now I just need to hem up the top and put darts in the back of the skirt so it'll fit her skinny butt. She's really happy that I got it done. We even had planned a back up outfit just in case. M is very happy she doesn't have to go as Homestar Runner this year.

No comments: