Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Spider update

Since my recent (and still on-going) spider bite incident, we decided that we may have a problem with spiders in the house.

J researched it and we confirmed it with our exterminator. There's no way to spray for spiders. You have to trap them.

So J bought a ton of these little glue traps and we've put them down on the bottom floor where we live (my office is up stairs).

Here's what I found this morning in two traps that are in my bedroom:
That's three BROWN RECLUSE SPIDERS!!!

The exterminator said that there's a bit of an epidemic of spiders this year because it's been so darn wet. The little buggers have retreated into our home.

Granted, we live in a very wooded area, but we haven't seen this many spiders in the three years we've lived here.

FWIW, I still not suffer from arachnophobia. Brown recluses will bite only when they feel threatened. Getting squished in my pants (I always love saying that) qualifies for feeling threatened.

This is a photo of a brown recluse up close. Sorry about the fuzziness of the photo. I never can see the fiddle everyone talks about. What helps me to identify them is how their butts are a little pointy


So, for you folks who live in the North Texas area; get some insect traps.

I've found three brown recluses in my daughter's room. Do it. I got bit about a month ago and my wound is still healing and my skin is peeling away like I got a bad sun burn.

Oh, and I also wanted to mention that the best foot cream is some stuff I bought at a local Linen's n Things or Bed Bath & Beyond (I can't tell the difference between the two). I also mention those two places 'cause they send out those terrific 20% off coupons that never really expire.

It's called Miracle Foot Repair cream and it's by a company called Miracle of Aloe. It's the thickest stuff and honestly was the only cream that relieved my feet when my skin was peeling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got bit by one when I was in college. I don't know how - it was kind of inside my thigh. I think it might have happened when I was camping, asleep. I didn't feel anything. But still, that was not cool.