Friday, August 24, 2007

19th Amendment

August 18th was the 87th anniversary of the signing of the 19th Amendment.

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be
denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by
appropriate legislation.

As a kid, I found it fascinating that girls couldn't do what boys could do historically. I learned about the 19th amendment from School House Rock (Sufferin' till Suffrage - warning, music starts up when you click that link). I also knew that my Grandmother was alive in a time when her mother wasn't able to vote. Amazing.

Even more amazing is how cavalier some modern day women are towards voting in America.

If you want to know more about the struggle, I suggest you watch a great movie done by Ken Burns, Not For Ourselves Alone. It's about Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony.

No comments: