Monday, October 03, 2005

Crafty

It was a crafty weekend.

Since I watch entirely too much television, I decided that I needed to do something with my hands. About two years ago, I tried teaching myself how to knit by reading a book. I did okay, I just don't know how to recover when I drop a stitch. I have a couple of projects that I've started and haven't finished because I screwed them up so much. It's not easy to recover with knitting.

So I thought maybe I ought to learn how to crochet. J & I were at a local craft store last week to buy some pirate gear and I saw a flyer that said that they'd teach you how to crochet or knit for free if you show up on Saturday. It's an effort to Warm Up America. We will make squares that are 7" x 9" and they'll be put together to make afghans. I can make a 7" x 9" square, so I'm trying to contribute to this. I learned how to crochet the basic single stitch and I think I finally understand how to do it. I'm having a little trouble with gage. My first block measures 8.5". I'll get it.

Another thing I did was buy a pattern. I have a great memory about going to the fabric store to look through pattern books to pick out our Halloween costumes. My mom was a really good sewer. She took all the classes and I had t-shirts that actually looked store bought (which was really important in the 70's).

My kiddo picked the pattern and the fabric. She wants to be a pretty pink princess. It's going to be more expensive than if I had just bought her costume, but she can use it for dress up later on - which is something she is having lots of fun with.

Of course my sewing machine isn't working right now. The bobbin threads tension is too loose and I just don't know enough about the machine to know any better. Hopefully I can get it fixed so I will have plenty of time to sew the costume.

No comments: