Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Kid Speak

One of the things I've found to be fun is to watch how M's vocabulary develops. I love it when she gets creative with her descriptions if she doesn't know the word.

For instance, once while baking some cinnamon rolls for breakfast, the timer went off. M jumped up and excitedly said, "Mom, it's the come get me!"

I still smile when I think of that.

This morning she did it again.

We let our dog out from the upstairs sliding glass door because that's the only door with direct access to the back yard from the house. Since M is getting older, we ask her to let Mel out in the mornings. Sometimes M wants an adult to wait at the bottom of the stairs. This morning was such a morning. While waiting on M, she let Mel out and started walking back telling me just how good of a dog Mel was. I asked her why was he particularly good this morning and she answered, "Because he didn't goalie me today."

Goalie her? What the heck does that mean? So I asked her.

"He didn't GOALIE me, Mom," she says impatiently like I should know what the heck she means. Then she moves back and fourth on one of the stairs - you know, like a soccer goalie does.

I smile.

No comments: