Thursday, July 03, 2008

CSM Troubleshooting & Questions

This is a photo of the bottom of my Tappet plate. Anyone know what the A slot is supposed to be for?

I did a simple test with the ribber - I twirled it without needles - and it would snag. So I swapped out my dial for a different one - thinking that I had a problem with either the dial or the tappet plate.

I think I have a problem with both.

Looking at the tappet plate and feeling for any bumps, this is what I found (look at the tip)

There's some damage on the edge. When I put the 36 slot dial back and turned it around, I found a ding in the area where it snags - and guess what - it lines up with the damage on the tappet plate.
Now I decided to look at my 30 slot dial. WOW! Lots of dings in the same general area.
So, my question is would I be able to save these parts by filing down the areas so the dial/tappet spin smoothly or should I just invest in new parts? Of course I'm leaning towards filing the damage down.
Another question I have is I've noticed the tappet pin is bent. Would this have any effect on the performance of my ribber?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly! Thanks for the link on the little houses, FASCINATING!
When your ribber is assembled, does the tappet plate turn freely on top of the dial? When I assemble my ribber to change dials, I keep two semicircles that I have cut out of 32# cardstock and set them between the tappet and the ribber, so that they are not set too tightly against one another when I screw the assembly together. It adjusts them with just enough space to move freely.
Leef

Anonymous said...

It looks like the dings are from the tappet plate hitting ribber needle latches that might be resting above the surface of the dial. I had this problem with my Legare and the leading edge of the tappet needs to be milled off where the latches might get caught, But instead I taped an opened paperclip to the side of the tappet so that the end of the paer clip is in a curve that lightlt rests on the surface of the dial and sweeps the latches below the surface of the dial. You'll need to file any dings smooth before you start. There is a photo in the Sockknittingmachines files.
Barbara C - eastern Mass